HERE ARE a few simple (and brief) guidelines for government leaders to contemplate.
1. Agility - community needs change. Government needs to be nimble.
2. Establish a road map - We need to define where we are going. Every action has to be judged against a plan.
3. Do fewer things better - We can't do everything so focus on a limited number of initiatives.
4. Principles trump rules - A set of organizational beliefs is much stronger than rules.
5. Accountability - Risk-taking and entrepreneurial behavior should be encouraged.
6. Candor and Courage - If you make a mistake, explain why it happened and how you have adjusted the system for the future.