March 1, 2009

A Great Blue Heron on the San Mateo County Coast

OK, I know this blog is called New Democracy Blog" and it explores the intersection of new media, technology, elections and civic engagement but as publisher and editor in chief, I feel it appropriate to take liberties now and then. Today, that is the case.

Cabin fever struck about 8:00 am this morning. For some reason I had it in my head to take a drive over to the coast, about 12 miles, and take some photographs of the ocean. Since it was raining, I packed my umbrella, rain jacket and my trusty Olympus E 510. The plan was to go to two state beaches, Pomponio and Pescadero. Both are South of Half Moon Bay on California State Route 1, around 9 and 12 miles respectively.

After enjoying the secluded beaches and taking several pictures, I decided to drive to Redwood City the back way - up the Pescadero Creek Highway from Highway 1 through Pescadero, Loma Mar, La Honda, Woodside and then home. When I turned the corner leaving the coast highway, heading East, I noticed a large bird up ahead on the left side of the road.

It was a
Great Blue Heron, the largest in the Heron family and he was just standing by the side of the road. I took several pictures of the great bird as we studied one another and you can see them here. In the meantime, enjoy the picture of Adrea herodias below.




Bookmark and Share

No comments: